Why did I go to a university, why are there degrees like second class lower and third class? I really want to know why after five years of intense struggle and hardship, I would be told that I can't apply for a job because I didn't get a second class upper degree or a first class. Why does going to a university in the country of my birth not count? for what purposes where they then created.
Some people would say am just bitter because I didn't get an upper or because I wasn't opportuned to go out to study, it might be true but why shouldn't I feel embittered if my degree was treated like a forged document. Our people in top positions in major companies come out to say nigerian education system is decrepit, why wouldn't it be. After studying there they forget there alma mater and send their kids either to private instituitions or out of the country. I would like to ask my fellow nigerians a question, which schools are the best in the UK or US, private or public? I can proudly answer that it is the public schools. When citizens of this countries graduate they put back into the instituition either by donating or creating things they believe can make the school greater. The oxfords and harvards are they private schools? No they certainly are not. Most of the things that are there now and which make us send our kids and wards there where contributed by alumnis of the school and not by the federal or state government. But can an average nigerian put back into the system that 'made' him, I doubt it.
Why were private instituitions created by churches,muslim societies and individuals, couldn't the amassed wealth be contributed to make the already established schools better. The churches say its to provide and create well rounded and established individuals but can ordinary members even afford the tuition fees, can someone earning N18000 minimum wage with 4 kids afford to pay over N300000 on one child? So what happens then to the other 3. I heard a story of a pastor who was charging his wards for the contribution towards the building of the churches own citadel of learning. Just being an area pastor he asked his members to contribute since this was there own and their children would finally have a chance to go to a private school, oh! how mistaken he was. After the school was completed he decided to send his daughter but what a great shock he had when he found out the amount for the fees, this pastor ended up sending his child to a public university . Some over-fed and fanatical nigerian somewhere would at this point tell me that there are scholarships for ministers and members children. But wait, is the scholarship giving to every member? and also I would like to see 50 members of any church that has benefited. When I say members I don't mean those that drive escalades, I mean those that trek to church on sundays, those that can barely live above $2 everyday. Of what use is an instituition if as a member I don't benefit fadem, I can as well sit at home and pray to my God with my family.
Our political class has been in existence for over 40 years and as they leave are grooming there children to take over, they have masterminded the notion that a local degree is as good as first school leaving certificate(Pry 6). So its off to harvard with their kids and when they return the job is only a phone call away. How long can we continue like this, how long are we going to be the worm eating off the leaves of our country. How can a senator whose children aren't studying in Nigeria care about what happens to the educational system, its impossible. They say where a mans treasures are there his heart is, so as they amass wealth and put it in foreign banks and as they send their childrens abroad, tell me where there hearts would be.
Our system isn't dying because of some spiritual hocos pocos, it is dying because of individuals. Individuals that hide behind churches and mosques, that hide behind the house of assembly these are the enemies of our future.
No comments:
Post a Comment